Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nerd Brigade

So this one is interesting: I call my Right Brigade collection almost complete (minus two tests).
But the other day, I found a pressing of their s/t 7" on ebay advertised as clear red vinyl. I was very curious, because I never heard of such a pressing. So I clicked the button and it was mine.


After examining this record for several hours, I came to the conclusion that this isn't a different pressing than the well-known pink ones. I am not that familiar with record pressing processes, but I guess you get the pink vinyl by mixing red and white. So I believe that this bad boy is one of the early birds when the white has been thrown into the machine. Look at this picture (pink on top, red below):


you can clearly see a difference. But still, if you look closer, you can see a few white streaks in the red vinyl. And below, you can see that it really is transparent compared to the pink one:


Yeah, this is what I think about this one. Must be the same principle like the Gorilla Biscuits 7", where there are various yellow colorways and even a few white ones. If anyone else has another idea about this record, feel free to tell me.

2 comments:

  1. Yes this is called a transition press. If the pressing plant doesn't clean the bin before pressing the next record it takes a little while for the previous color to clear out. Hence "transition". I collect wreck-age/exit records like big time. They did this for every 12" release. 1 black 1 color and wide range of transition over say 50 records. Good post man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!
    These transitions make record collecting definitely not easier... :o)

    ReplyDelete